My Blog List

Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Treat for Yom Kippur

I meant to have this blog done on Wednesday.  It was not possible.  On Monday, the first day of Rosh Hashanah, my beloved cousin, Sandra Kushner Zlotkin, died after a courageous battle with cancer.

Today is the first day I have been able to concentrate on this blog.

I present to you my version of a Yerushalmi Kugel.  It is found in the Orthodox sections of Jerusalem on Friday afternoons as a Shabbat Treat.  I think it is the perfect dish for Yom Kippur with its mixture of sweetness and black pepper.  It can be prepared ahead and is perfect served at room temperature.


My Yerushalmi Kugel

This is a very simple kugel that can be eaten any time.  I like it for the holidays because it is sweet and savory with the little bite from the black pepper.
This recipe makes about 12 servings.

1 -- 12 ounce back of very fine egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 extra large eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2/3 cup grape seed or vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9” X 13” X 2” pan

Beat eggs well with the black pepper.  Mix with the cooked egg noodles.

In a small sauce pan combine the sugars and the oil.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 10 to 15 minutes until the oil has mixed well with the sugars and caramelized to a deep amber.

Quickly mix the caramelized sugars with the noodle mixture.  Spread into the prepared pan and bake for one to one and a half hours uncovered, until the top is crisp and browned.

Serve at room temperature.




Sharyn Rosler (c) September, 2012

I wish you all a happy, healthy, and joyous New Year.
May you have an easy fast.






No comments:

Post a Comment