My Blog List

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Some news, restaurant reviews and a recipe

As many of you may know, due to circumstances beyond my control, I will not be doing any demos at Chef Central in the near future.  I am very sorry to disappoint all of you who normally come to my demos.  Hopefully, I will be teaching again in the near future and will keep you all informed.

 Bucatini with Raisins and Slivered Almonds
Escarole Sauteed with Garlic

Any way,  my DH and I went to one of our favorite restaurants, Nicola's in Totowa, NJ.  They have lots of thing to eat if you are ingredient kosher, especially some of the freshest fish around and some great pastas.  I had a wonderful pasta, Bucatini with cauliflower, raisins and slivered almonds.  It is one of the best pastas I have had in a long time.  Marvin had fish and although his fish came with sides, we shared an order of escarole sauteed with garlic.  Absolutely delicious.

Another great place for fish, although it's usually limited to salmon and sole, however, he will be selling halibut in the next week or two.  Brigantine Seafood in Hawthorne, NJ.  It's a restaurant and a fish store.  Only sells and cooks what he can buy fresh that morning.  Worth a try.

I did promise you a recipe, here's one that is perfect for this time of year.  Enjoy!

Zesty Cole Slaw

1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon celery salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh thyme leaves
1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste, optional
1 large head white cabbage, shredded
2 to 3 carrots, grated

In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar, ketchup, vinegar, celery salt, pepper, thyme leaves, and hot sauce until well combined.
Place the cabbage and carrots in a large bowl.  Pour the ketchup/vinegar mixture over the cabbage and carrots and toss to mix well.  Place in the refrigerator for at least one hour to allow the flavors to marry.
Serve cold with your favorite meats or fish, hot from the grill.

Will keep in the refrigerator for three days.

Enjoy!

Stay tuned, more to come in the next week or so.



No comments:

Post a Comment